Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Hill Side Acers, My Neighborhood


How well do you know your neighborhood? I began days ago to interview people in my neighborhood starting with my mother. She has been living in Hill Side Acers for 45years, she says, “I feel safe in my neighborhood because I know my neighbors.”

So I continued on with my interviews with a small stroll in my neighborhood, as I went next door. On a nice sunny breezy day, I spoke to my neighbors on the right side of my house, I wish I could have spoken to my neighbors on my left but they moved out. Having a fantastic conversation with my neighbors I found out that they’ve lived in their house and the neighborhood for 49 years. It was interesting when speaking to the Luna’s because I found out that the house they’re living in, they built them selves. “I love my neighborhood because I own my own mobile park, but my dislikes is that there’s too many lose dogs dunning around lose,” said Eusebia Luna, 79. By the way I love my neighbors because they’ve seen me grow up and have been there for me, they’re my grandparents.

A few houses down there is Irene Bustemante, who is my grandma’s best friend, they’ve been friends for years. Irene is like a second grandma to me, she said “It’s good to know your neighbors and get the chance to see them when you go to the store or church.”

One thing I love about my neighborhood is I know the people from church or going to school with them. It’s great when I go running at the Miller’s Pond down the street and I run into someone from elementary or middle school and we just begin to reminisce about things.

I grew up going to Devine Providence Catholic Church, our priest for the time being is from Africa and it’s a benefit and comfort that he lives in our neighborhood just in case anyone needs him.

Something I found out that’s really neat is that there’s three generations living in our neighborhood. For example, my grandparents, my mom, and my sister and me; not only us but there’s other third generations of families living in the Hill Side Acers community.

I have lived in my house and neighborhood my whole life of 20 years, to grow up and go to school, church, and the park with people I learned to know makes me feel safe. I can go put gas at the Valero and have a conversation with my friend’s dad; I can be at church and after mass start having a chat with a budding from college. During the day when I have time to sit outside I see the boys from the corner house playing basketball and I notice when the school buses drop off all the kids I see how each generation is changing. At night when I don’t have to wake up early I enjoy going to my back yard, lying down on the trampoline just looking up at the stars. Sometimes I hear the train and coyotes because behind my back yard are the woods, but other nights I can hear people when the have a party with loud music and chaos. I love my neighborhood.

No comments: