Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Mi Parque es Su Parque (My Park is Your Park)











Ever want to get away and take a walk so you can think about everything that is going on? Maybe just hang out with your friends or family but don’t know where to go? Well no problem because I’m going to introduce you to Medina Base Road Park.








This park is rather new with two assessable playgrounds that are surrounded by pebbles and each one has at least up to two slides. For the pavilion it comes with from four to six tables and two mini barbecue pits, which are scattered throughout the park. There is a .5 mile walking trail that is surrounded by trees that leads to Springvale Road which that turns into a neighborhood. The skating ramp is a good size area which has a few benches for people to sit and watch the skaters. This park also has limited amount of parking and for those who need the restroom, they have a porter potty. By the way for those animal lovers the pets have to stay out of the park. Those are the rules because the park doesn’t want to have any doggy-no nos.

What was informative about the park is that it’s in the District 4 area and has spent around $150, 000 for the skate plaza. That money also included the concrete pad and the portable skate equipment. So a nice amount of money was spent for a good quality park.

Myko Flores, 19, stated “I recently found out about this park from a friend and now I come here at least once a week. It’s very peaceful and kind of hidden, so its great to come with my girlfriend or bring my family, my little sisters love this park.” I agree, I found this place one night driving around just thinking about things and I didn’t even know where I was. I saw the park, told some friends about it. Now whenever we have no school and days off from work, we like to go to the park and have lunch and just hang out.


Josh Guerrero, 22, noted “I have a lot of problems at home so when I’m not working I bring my little brother James, 7 and my little sister Julie, 5 to the park because I don’t want them to be home when our parents are arguing. It’s good to see them having fun and it’s the only time that I actually have to spend with them.” That’s another reason why I love this park; I see a lot of families here. Just the other night I saw a mother with her three sons, the boys were on their skate-boards and the mom was watching them and reading a book.

What I enjoy about the park besides the fact it’s newer than the other parks is that it’s on the South Side and there’s not any tacky tagging, but I found out if there is they have people to clean it off. I am not trying to give the South Side a bad name but there are a lot of parks where you’ll see tagging. I’m sure that’s everywhere but to have a decent park that’s clean and in good condition, it’s an improvement for this side of town. Of course for those who clean up the park and make sure all is going well and rules are being followed, they work for the city.

Every goes to a park for different reasons such as birthday parties, social events, playing sports, and picnics. Sarah Ralston, 25, says “Jerry and I were walking to the park from the small trail when we became an official couple. I don’t think many people know about it because I hardly see people here, but I love it because it’s hidden, clean, and spacious.” “Kristi Aguilera, 18, “I’m such a tom-boy me and some of my guy friends love coming here on the weekends playing football; we can play for hours.” There’s so much space I love to run around, just friends tackling friends. Or playing soccer, which is my favorite sport. It’s very roomy and surrounded by trees so if you kick the ball you don’t have to worry about it going into the road.

For those who are looking to buy a new house to call your home, what’s a better place to look at then the new KB Home Subdivision at the end of the trail of the park? You would have a new house, a walking distance to a clean park which means you save on gas, and it’s good for family bonding. For those who have children in school Medina Base Park is in the South San Antonio ISD.

Well if you want to check out this park I enjoy going to, look up a map on mapquest.com and head on over, maybe I’ll see you there!



ADDRESS: 6303 Medina Base Road
San Antonio, Texas
78227

No comments: