Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Mission Espada, San Antonio







Mission San Francisco de la Espada through My Eyes

Just last week I took a trip down to what is known as Mission Espada. Before my adventure I only knew a little about Mission Espada, but when I took my trip down there I learned so much more and to be outside where the court yard is; I was walking where history took place.
Small history lesson: Mission Espada was first established in Mississippi, then around 1720 it was in Austin, and finally settled in San Antonio in 1731. Carmino Real is one of the oldest roads in Americas and its right by the Espada Church.
Walking into the church at Espada was amazing, but it was not the first church there that was built. The first church was not strong enough, so they knocked it down and built the second one which still stands today. There’s a story behind the arch where the doors are at in front of the church and a story behind the statues inside.
What hit me the most is when I was at the court yard? When Park Ranger Martinez was explaining everything that went on and where it took place, it amazed me. I could picture things happening in my head, but everything was black and white. The black smiths were by the first made church to the left and by Carmino Real road is by the soldiers were practicing their drills. I could see Mexicans and Native Americans, the children sitting by the will learning their Latin/Spanish for school.
If you get a chance to take a walk at Mission Espada, please do. When you’re reading the history about it and you see the church, the will, and the bricks, it’s overwhelming. Take it all in and appreciate what you have but don’t forget where you came from.

No comments: